[bluetooth-dev] [OT]: Security Modes 1, 2 and 3

A bit Off-Topic though it is a question about Bluetooth. After reading the
'Bluetooth Security Whitepaper' I must admit that I am still not clear on
the differences between the three GAP defined Security Modes.

Mode 1 is self explanatory I think, but I am not clear on the difference
between Mode 2 and 3. In the product I am thinking of, it would never
initiate any security check (with link-key) but if the device it is
connecting to requests authentication and/or encrpytion it would accept that
request.

If someone would care to explain, I would be most grateful.

regards,
SW.

Scott Walsh                              Plantronics (UK) Ltd.
Senior Software Engineer