Original Post: Questions - Link Manager Protocol and Base Band (SIG Forum )
Date: 2000-06-16
Although the HCI (Host Controller Interface ) directly instructs the
Baseband to do these inquiry/paging instructions, there exist device ,such
as cordless phone, which are envisaged to function without the use of the
HCI layer. As far as I know HCI is not necessary.
This is because the HC layer is actually not absolutely necessary. It
provides a typical standard command interface to the baseband controller and
link manager, and access to hardware status and control registers. Knowing
this it would be up to the developer , and application/profile setup, to
decide whether to implement it. The Cordless Telephony Profile doesn't use
many of the lower features (such as hold, sniff) so it makes sense for it to
not implement the HCI interface, and so reducing complexity & cost.

regards,
Radhakrishnan..