RE: [bluetooth-dev] Test Control Interface & HCI

Gordon,

A system doesn't need to use the HCI interface to be Bluetooth compatible.
HCI has been defined just as a simple interface beetween the {baseband processor, radio} and the host controller (most of the time, but not always a PC).
So HCI has just been defined to separate physically the baseband from L2CAP, and allow people to use "standard" bluetooth modules to develop their products if they don't want to bother with the radio.
In the case of an embedded system, the processor that does the baseband processing handles the all application (Bluetooth stack, LCD, MMI, keyboard...). In that case, the L2CAP packets are directly Segmented/reassemled in baseband packets (DM1, DM3, ...) instead of segmented/reassembled in HCI packets which in turn are segmented/reassembled in baseband packets.

In fact HCI doesn't play any role in the bluetooth protocol : if your system connects to a remote system, your system will not be able to tell if the remote system uses HCI commands beetween L2CAP and basebandor not !

I hope that this is right, and that this will help...

David.