Re: [bluetooth-dev] Digianswer API Source Code Will Be Free

condensed version:

[...]
> open and free access to Digianswer's protocol stack via their Application
> Programming Interface (API).
[...]
> to strengthen Bluetooth development efforts on personal
> computers.
[...]
> plans to place their entire Bluetooth Software Suite into Open Source by
> 2004.
[...]

that is, we will get the api for a windows dll now, and the full
windows-centric code of the dll (for fully fledged windows pcs) by
_2004_ (twothousandandfour, ad).

they do a good job marketing.
letīs do a good job writing the stack. now.

olli*

Patrick E Kane wrote:

> This was announced at the latest BT DevCon.
>
> PEK
> ---
>
>  Digianswer Releases API / Will Place Entire Bluetooth
>  Software Suite Into Open Source
>
>  Source Code Will Be Free
>
>  SAN JOSE, Ca. - Dec. 4, 2000 - Digianswer A/S announced today their new
>  software strategy to strengthen Bluetooth development efforts on personal
>  computers.  This new strategy will give application developers immediate
>  open and free access to Digianswer's protocol stack via their Application
>  Programming Interface (API).  In addition to this open interface, Digianswer
>  plans to place their entire Bluetooth Software Suite into Open Source by
>  2004.
>
>  Digianswer will continue to license their Bluetooth Software Suite (BTSWS)
>  to PC manufacturers, Bluetooth solutions developers and other customers,
>  independent of hardware.  Licensed customers will receive access to source
>  code, software updates and support during the period prior to the Open
>  Source offering.  The open API documentation is currently available for
>  developers from the Digianswer website: btsws.digianswer.com.
>
>  "This new initiative will allow the developer community to work with an API
>  that is already deployed and have the knowledge that it will be around for a
>  long time" said Ole Jensen, Founder and Managing Director of Digianswer.
>  "The developers can begin to formulate plans for future offerings through
>  use of the Open Source software."
>
>  The Digianswer software stack is currently bundled with the Digianswer
>  PCMCIA card OEMed by Dell, IBM, NEC and Toshiba.  The software operates on
>  Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4.0 and 2000.  Support for Windows CE is under
>  development with an early version having been demonstrated at Comdex Fall
>  2000.
>

>  About Digianswer
>  In addition to being one of the most advanced implementers of Bluetooth
>  technology and offering a comprehensive range of Bluetooth hardware and
>  software products, Digianswer A/S is the leading developer of Digital Signal
>  Processing based accessories for the use with cellular phones.  Digianswer
>  is based in Nibe, Denmark and is a subsidiary of Motorola, Inc.
>
>  # # #
>
>  About Open Source
>  Open source promotes software reliability and quality by supporting
>  independent peer review and rapid evolution of source code. To be OSI
>  certified, the software must be distributed under a license that guarantees
>  the right to read, redistribute, modify, and use the software freely.
>  For more information, visit the web site, http://www.opensource.org.
>
>  # # #
>  Bluetooth is a trademark owned by Telfonaktiebolaget L. M. Ericsson, Sweden
>  and licensed to Digianswer A/S.
>
>  All names, product names, and tradenames are trademarks or registered
> [...]

Oliver Kasten                                phone: +41/ 1/ 63-2 06 63
ETH-Zurich                                     fax: +41/ 1/ 63-2 16 59
Haldeneggsteig 4, IFW D48.1                  email: kasten@xxxxxxx.ch
CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland           http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~kasten/