From: Gordon McNutt
To: Lim Yong Beng
Cc: ''bluetooth-dev@xxxxxxx.com' '
Sent: 1/11/01 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [bluetooth-dev] Profiles Supported for BT Axis?

Lim Yong Beng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May I know what are the profiles supported by BT Axis?  If there are
more
> than 1 profile, how is the intended profile chosen? Through a user
interface
> at the client?

BT Axis implements RFCOMM, so any of the profiles which go through
RFCOMM can
use it. Currently their app (btd) has a way to use PPP over RFCOMM.

If you want to use a different profile, or provide a user interface,
then
you'll need to do some work. Basically, BT Axis gives you an RFCOMM tty
(or a
set of them, actually). If you want to use another profile, like OBEX,
then
you'll need to start OBEX using one of these tty's as it's lower driver.
I'm
guessing that this is how you start OBEX over IRCOMM, so the situation
should
be analogous.

If you want to use one of the phone-voice protocols over an SCO link
then you
don't have a lot of support in the BT stack (yet). In general the
profiles
which don't use RFCOMM don't currently have an interface into the stack.
I know
that the AXIS people are thinking about this but I don't know what
solution
they're leaning toward. Some people on this stack have implemented
network
interfaces into the stack, so you might check the archives and contact
them it
you're interested.

--Gordon