Re: [bluetooth-dev] solving a broadcast problem through bluetooth

ping kidwai wrote:

>   Hi, My name is Hashir Kidwai. I am currently focusing on a Topic of
> Ad-Networks and would like to know that whether that problem or topic can be
> solved via BlueTooth or not. The Topic is: One node transmits a broadcast
> message and *all* its neighbors receive it successfully. This means that
> none of its neighbors should be transmitting or receiving other messages
> during this time period. In MACA the receiver is told of an upcoming
> transmission by means of the RTS/CTS exchange. However, how would this work
> if there are multiple simultaneous receivers for one transmission?

Hi Hashir,

In Bluetooth, the answer depends on whether or not the node in question is a
master or a slave. If the node is a master, then it can broadcast to all slaves
on its piconet. But if it is a slave, then it cannot broadcast -- it can only
talk to its master.

Transmission collision on Bluetooth is avoided with the following scheme. Legal
transmission times on a piconet are divided into slots. Some slots only the
master can transmit, and all slaves listen for packets addressed to them. Other
slots only one slave can transmit, and the master listens. A slave knows that
it can transmit, and not collide with another slave, if and only if the master
addressed it in the previous master transmission slot. This scheme is covered
in the baseband protocol portion of the core spec.

--gmcnutt