Re: [bluetooth-dev] Relationship between components

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 09:35:36AM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> It gives me a start.  So I understand it all properly, the 2.4 kernel
> bluetooth.o provides a "serial-like" device that any bluetooth stack can
> work through, correct?

Correct.

> What, then, is the purpose (and status under 2.4) of the kernel module
> provided in the Axis package, bt.o?  Does it provide the services available
> in the standard kernel module available in 2.4, or does it do more?  From
> reading the docs, I am led to understand that it is a kernel space
> implementation of the BT stack.  Is that correct?  Is it possible (or even
> advisable) to run this (possibly modified for 2.4 kernels) module under 2.4?
> My initial impression is that, if it is possible, it would be advisable,
> since the documentation all indicates that the pure user-mode stack is not
> preferable for real BT design work.  Is that still the case, or is it a case
> of old documentation confusing me?

bt.o _is_ the Bluetooth protocol stack.  It enables other user space
programs to connect through it to talk to other devices.

Think of bt.o like ppp.o.  ppp.o provides the PPP logic to enable you to
do TCP/IP over a physical type connection (modem, serial, and hey,
bluetooth...)  Does that help out a bit more.

And yes, it's preferable to run bt.o as a kernel driver.  Cleaner
implementation, and it has access to nicer things (kernel type
services).

I've seen 2.4 patches on the mailing list, if you want to try 2.4.x out.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

--
greg@xxxxxxx.com