Re: [bluetooth-dev] Problems building with Redhat 7.0

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Greg KH wrote:

> > > I'm new to bluetooth and this stack S/W. Trying to build the stack under
> > > Redhat Linux 7.0 (i believe this is 2.2.16 kernel) and get error
> > > referencing include files as follows:-
> > >
> > > make -C src
> > > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/alan/btstack/Software/bluetooth/src'
> > > cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I../include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame -pointer -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h   -c -o bluetooth.o bluetooth.c
> > > In file included from bluetooth.c:0:
> > > /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
> > > /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but headers from an appropriate kernel-source
> > > make[1]: *** [bluetooth.o] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alan/btstack/Software/bluetooth/src'
> > > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > >
> > > Can anyone suggest what my problem may be?
> >
> > You're pointing your build environment to the wrong headers.  Try putting
> > -I/usr/src/linux/include in the Makefile next to -I../include, or
> > alternately unpack the source code into /usr/src/linux.
>
> Or the easier (and recommend) way is to run:
> 	make INCLUDEDIR=/usr/src/linux/include
> (or point to wherever you have your kernel source tree) to build the stack.

There is that, too.  That should probably be somewhere prominent in the docs
(it might be now, it wasn't as of a few weeks ago when I last checked).

> Don't do development in /usr/src/linux, do it in a user directory.

I suggested that because the source layout suggested that it was intended to
go in the kernel source tree.