Re: [bluetooth-dev] Open BT stack on ARM7TDMI

Bill Pringlemeir wrote:

>  JN> Hi, I am beginner with the axis bluetooth stack and would like to
>  JN> know whether there is a guideline for porting the stack to an
>  JN> ARM7TDMI environment. Is there any script/makefile which I could
>  JN> directly use
>
> Since the ARM7TDMI is an ARM without an MMU, you would need to use a
> version of Linux that runs without an MMU.  For instance, uCLinux.
>
> Some people have done work to make the stack run with an SA110 (which
> is a `netwinder' that is available from www.rebel.com).  This work
> would take care of most ARM specific problems, such as alignement
> issues.
>
> However, if you use uCLinux there will be more problems porting.
> Perhaps a newer version will merge uCLinux support.

We've used the stack with some success on a uCLinux platform without too many
porting problems. Trying to remember if we used a later version or the older
8/99 version... I think the later version because that's when we added the
Config.in to CVS so we could compile it into the kernel.

We used the bleeding-edge 2.4 uCLinux kernel for an ARM7. The porting issues
I found were some race conditions because our processor was so slow. Can't
remember if I checked in the fixes or not...

Not much help! But I can verify that it did work well enough to exchange some
data. Eventually we found that somehow we were dropping packets so we had to
ditch the project to meet a deadline. It could work if you use small data
transfers, or a reliable protocol above RFCOMM, or fix the bug ;).

--gmcnutt