Re: [bluetooth-dev] Devices for Linux

Frank Kargl wrote:
> Hi ...
Hello!

> we're currently setting up a project where Bluetooth support in Linux is
> needed. We plan to realize a mobile demonstrator based on the Compaq
> iPAQ with mLinux. So in order to enable Bluetooth on this device we
> realized the following options:
;) You too???

> * iPAQ with PC Card Expansion Pack and mLinux
What is mLinux?
If you refer to the "distribution" of Linux put together by Lisa
(Hamburg) then mLinux is more or less an ordinary handhelds.org
StrongARM Linux.

> * Bluetooth Hardware:
>   - Serial -> not supported by iPAQ/mLinux without Craddle -> NO
>   - USB -> via PC Card Expansion Packs and USB PC Card -> PERHAPS
>   - PC Card -> via PC Card Expansion Pack -> PREFERRED
The more interesting option is BT Compact Flash cards which will be
available soon. The problem is just that the interface is not specified
in the BT specification. So every hardware manufacturer will do this on
his own. Thus it will be very hard to get the correct interface
specifications :(

> * Axis BT Stack or IBM BlueDrekkar BT Stack
> According to our search of mailing lists and web sites, both the Axis
> and IBM stack currently don't support BT PC Cards, so we need to use an
> serial or USB BT card. This means we need an iPAQ expansion pack for PC
> Cards and an additional USB PC Card. Not very elegant.
The IBM stack has the additional disadvantage that you do not get it's
source! So you cannot recompile/port it for StrongARM...

> Does anyone see a better solution to go with? Has anyone sucessfully
> worked with a Bluetooth PC Card under Linux? How do you estimate the
> effort for porting drivers/BT stack to mLinux?
Get a CF card from a verndor/manufacturer that will share the specs with
you. That's what I am currently trying.

> Regards ... Frank
CU
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57250 Netphen          D1 : +49-170-2729106
--
begin:vcard
n:Faerber;Nils