Re: [bluetooth-dev] # of ttyBT device files

"Gathright, Dave" wrote:

> > > I believe a Bluetooth transceiver can only have 7 active
> > connections at a time even though RFCOMM should support 64 connections (6
> > bit DLCI), less 4
> > > reserved.
> > What do you mean by that (less 4 reserved) ?
>
> 4 of the DLCI values between 0 and 63 (0,1,62,63) are reserved for other
> uses.
Yes I know that. I was confused when you said "LESS 4" are reserved. Of
course the channels 0,1,62,63 are reserved (control channel etc.).

> Yes and no. Each bluetooth transceiver *can* (meaning according to the
> bluetooth spec, actual mileage may vary) support up to 7 active connections
> simultaneously in either a piconet or scatternet configuration (mine
> supports 4 connections and no scattenet). Now suppose you want to connect to
> 8 devices, are you out of luck? No. This is where HOLD and PARK modes come
> in to play. A master can place one (or more) of its slaves in PARK mode (or
> ACL connections in HOLD) to free up one of the active connections. Then the
> master can connect to another slave. Note that there is a connection timeout
> threshold and if set, the master must cycle through all of the slaves in
> PARK to prevent them from dropping the connection (or rather, considering
> themselves disconnected).
Thanks for your nice  introduction to the Bluetooth technology :-)

> All of this is explained in the Bluetooth Spec v1.0B. I suggest you read
> that and not rely on my memory of how things work! :)
Sorry, it was only a misunderstanding of you posting !
\ Matthias Fuchs                                 \
 \ esd electronic system design Gmbh              \
  \ Vahrenwalder Straße 205                        \
   \ D-30165 Hannover                               \
    \ email: matthias.fuchs@xxxxxxx.com      \
     \ phone: +49-511-37298-0                         \
      \ fax:   +49-511-37298-68                        \