From: owner-bluetooth-dev@xxxxxxx.com
[mailto:owner-bluetooth-dev@xxxxxxx.com]On Behalf Of steve.hall@xxxxxxx.com
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 4:18 PM
To: bluetooth-dev@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: [bluetooth-dev] Ericsson Bluetooth Module - USB Initialization
problem with Linux

All,

I recently asked for help with a problem establishing communication with the
USB port on the Ericsson Bluetooth module (ROK 107 008) in the Linux
environment. The problem appears to be that on power-up the module
alternately looks at its UART and USB ports until it hears from one or the
other, but that while looking at one, it is blind to activity on the other.
Linux only tries assigning an address to a newly detected USB device twice
before quitting. Increasing HUB_PROBE_TRIES from 2 to 20 in hub.c results in
100% success, and typically requires 6 - 8 tries before address assignment
succeeds.

Thanks to Mark Corner for pointing me in the right direction!

By the way, the Ericsson module does not have the required 1.5k pull-up on
the USB D+ line, but does have a weak (100k) pull-up on D- which causes the
hub to see either nothing or, worse yet, a low speed (1.5 M) device if you
don't supply an external pullup on D+.

S.