Re: [bluetooth-dev] Bluetooth qualification for an opensource stack

Le Vendredi 18 Mai 2001 13:34, Matthias Fuchs a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a Bluetooth device that currently uses the OpenBT stack
> on an embedded Linux plattform. Some others seem to do the same. As we
> all know Bluetooth qualification is needed to bring such a product to
> the market. I tried to get some prices about this process - not bad, not
> bad :-)

Yes, we are in the same situation.

> That's the situation. What can we do ?
>
> There are two issues I like to discuss:
>
> 1) Sharing qualification costs
> Are there any companies interessted in sharing the qualification effort
> for an opensource Bluetooth stack ?
> This could result in a pre-qualified software stack, that could be used
> by nearly everyone !

To me, it doesn't make sense to qualify a stack that nobody can sell ! And
any modification to the stack should be published anyway. Qualification
should be handled on a product basis... I'll try to figure out what we can do
with the SIG.

> 2) Opensource projects like the OpenBT stack change quickly.
> What happens to a qualified Bluetooth stack if some changes are made to
> the source code ?

Don't worry, the (qualified) stacks change also very quickly, and the
qualified stacks are still buggy... So, IMHO, this is not an open source
issue.

I'm read to help do the necessary job on the stack to make it "qualifiable"
in a product.

The first step would probably be to write code to test the stack... As this
code would be public, the SIG should participate to its developpement cost.

What is the position of the people from Axis on this issue?