Re: [bluetooth-dev] Disorientation...ppp and rfcomm

Le Jeudi 27 Septembre 2001 09:09, Markku Pirilä a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Some clarifying guestions to make things more intelligible:
>
> About Axis protocol levels bt stack:
> What additional value can ppp give against rfcomm? I mean if you do a
> application witch uses directly rfcomm levell
> or another whitch operates one levell higher eq. ppp.

PPP brings you into the world of IP : you get an IP address, and can run any
IP application (like FTP, HTTP, POP3 etc...) wireless. If your application is
just point-to-point, then you don't need PPP. RFCOMM gives you a serial port
beetween two bluetooth devices. PPP is one application that runs on top of a
serial port.

> About mechanism of btd application:
> What is the reason for 'restart'  in btd.c in the end of while loop? My
> problem is that the program running in the while loop
> never ends.

I feel that btd is just an example of what you can do with the stack. It is
up to you to run your own specific application instead of btd...

> About using rfcomm:
> If i would like to send files whit Minicom from Linux machine to another
> over bluetooth, should i connect to ttyS0 or ttyBT0?

ttyS0 is probably the "COM1" serial port of your PC (not going thru
bluetooth). If you want to send your file thru a virtual serial port over
bluetooth, you have to choose the ttyBTx corresponding to the remote device
you want to send the file to.

Is this clear enough ?