Ping fails over PPP

Hello,
We are trying to run  ping  application over a PPP connection established
over the BT stack.

After the first echo- request/reply the peer side(Gateway end)  receives a
User Terminate  request from the Client end and the ppp0 interface on the
Gateway side comes down.

We are using the axis BT stack on either ends.The ppp version we are
running is 2.4.1. on Linux kernel 2.4.5.

The ppp kernel modules we are using are

slhc.o
ppp_generic.o
ppp_async.o
ppp_synctty.o
ppp_defalte.o
bsd_comp.o

The Linux kernel version on client end is 2.4.5-rmk2-np1 running on a
Assabet board. The other end runs on x86 with kernel version 2.4.5. We are
using a external Mitsumi BT module on client end and Ericsson BT module on
the Gateway end. We are using the USB as our transport driver at either
ends.

The following support has not been buit into the pppd as it was giving a
Sementation fault with SIGSEGV ( mmap system call)
IPX, PAM  INET6 USE_SCRIPT

The pppd  on Client end and Gateway end are invoked as follows.

CLIENT END
 execl("/usr/sbin/pppd",pppd, "-detach", "noauth",nocrtscts","lock",
"/dev/rfcomm0","57600",NULL);

GATEWAY END
 execl("/usr/sbin/pppd",pppd, "nodetach",
"noauth",nocrtscts","lock","passive","proxyarp","10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2","/dev/rfcomm0","57600",NULL);

What is the reason for a User Terminate Request ? Sometimes the LCP/IPCP
negotiations too fail.

Any suggestions highy appreciated.

Phani Ram,
Pervasive Group,IBM India Software Labs,
Golden Enclave,Airport Road,
Bangalore
Tel: 526 2355 Extn: 3715