Re: [bluetooth-dev] How to reduce 60 sec delay on Dial Up connection?

Tim,

I believe the delay is due to the standard hangup sequence where the
Windows modem driver will send "+++" and "ATH" trying to receive any
confirmation of hangup.

You can try to install the attached *.inf file as a modem entry on top of
the virtual serial port.  You may need the following entry in
/etc/ppp/options:
  connect "/usr/bin/chat -v '\r' '\r'"

Anycom Bluetooth software has a better solution.  They associate direct
cable connection entries with the virtual serial ports.  Then the modem
emulation of the OpenBT software should detect the direct cable chatting
sequence.  Otherwise, this entry may help:
  connect "/usr/bin/chat -v 'CLIENT' 'CLIENTSERVER'"

Ilguiz

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Tim Lindquist wrote:

> ON the laptop, after assigning the Dial Up service to the StrongARM
> host, I then use the Windows Dial Up connection facility to create the
> PPP connection.
>
> However, there is a 60 sec delay before PPP even starts negotiating. It
> seems to be related to modem negotiation.
; MDMCBX.INF
; Revision 1: 5 November 1995
; Revision 2: 13 November 1995
;              - added support for speeds > 19200
; Revision 3: 11 December 1995
;              - fixed hangup bug
;              - manual dial option not needed anymore
; Revision 4: 2 March 1996
;              - cleaned out some junk :)

; compiled by Kevin Wells 1995
; portions of .INF file copyright Microsoft Corp 1993-1995
; This file may be freely distributed and modified as
; long there is no charge for the file.  Please contact
; the author with any suggestions or improvements at
; kewells@xxxxxxx.  This file is a cut-paste of the
; hayes modem file.  If someone cuts down the extraneous lines, send
; me a copy!

; This file and more detailed tips and instructions may be
; obtained at:
; http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/
; If you have problems accessing the above URL, your browser may
; not put index.html at the end of the URL by default.  Instead,
; you may want to try:
; http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/index.html

; *** This file only explains the installation of this
; driver file and does NOT _fully_ explain how to set up
; a SLIP connection on the net.  You may email me at
; kewells@xxxxxxx.edu with any problems, but please check out
; http://www.windows95.com first.  It is _very_ helpful
; and includes step-by-step instructions on setting up
; a generic SLIP connection.

; You need to have the following correctly installed:
; 1) Dial-up networking with TCP/IP
; 2) If you plan to run a SLIP connection, you need to
;    have the SLIP drivers installed. These are located
;    under admin\dscript in the distribution
;    directory on the Windows 95 CD.  You can also find
;    these and installation instructions at
;    http://www.windows95.com

; Instructions:
; 1) Copy this file to a safe place (on a floppy or
; somewhere on your hard drive)
;
; 2) Go to the control panel and click "Modems"

; 3) Click the Add...  button

; 4) In the next window, check the "don't detect..."
;    box and then click the "Next>" button.

; 5) Click on "Have disk" and in the next dialog box enter
;    in the path to the file that you copied in step one
;    (don't include the file name, only the path)

; 6) Click on "Direct Connection"

; 7) Click on the "Next>" button.

; 8) Click on the port where you direct connection is and
;    then click on the "Next>" button.  For most Tech
;    computers purchased from IBM, this is usually COM1.

; 9) Windows will think for a little bit and prepare the
;    driver.  After it is done, click the "Finish"
;    button.  The title of the modem should appear in the
;    next window.

; 10) Click "Close"

; 11) Go into dial up networking and make a new
;     connection.

; 12) When the dialog box comes up select the direct
;     campus connection as your modem and click configure

; 13) In the options tab, click "operator assisted or
;     manual dial" and continue setting it up!
; VIRGINIA TECH: You do not need to do step 13.
; OTHERS: If you can get your host to echo a <cr> to <cr>
; then you can also not do step 13.  You may want to fool around with
; the strings down below, but some weird things happen when you do,
; so be careful!  As a last resort, you can do step 13.

; 14) If you are not running SLIP, you may want to click the boxes
;     that say "bring up terminal screen..."  If you have the
;     SLIP drivers, a screen will come up automatically; you
;     do not need to click these boxes.

; NOTE: It does _not_ matter what you put in for the phone number when
; Windows 95 asks you for one.  My driver file does not use it.

; Enjoy your new 32-bit connection!

; Kevin Wells
; kewells@xxxxxxx.edu
; http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO"
Class=Modem
Provider=%VTech%

[Manufacturer]
%Tech%=Tech

[Tech]
%Rolm% = Rolm, UNIMODEM105DA558
;%Rolm% = Rolm, UNIMODEM76DBB0AA

[Rolm]
AddReg=All, Common, RolmReg, EXTERNAL

[All]
HKR,,FriendlyDriver,,Unimodem.vxd
HKR,,DevLoader,,*VCOMM
HKR,,PortSubClass,1,02
HKR,,ConfigDialog,,modemui.dll
HKR,,EnumPropPages,,"modemui.dll,EnumPropPages"

[EXTERNAL]
HKR,, DeviceType, 1, 01

[Common]
; Hayes standard init/monitor/answer mechanisms.  Override if different for a specific modem/manufacture
HKR, Init, 1,, "<cr>" ; do an "AT" to get autobaud correct (start other init strings with 2)
HKR, Monitor, 1,, ""
HKR, Monitor, 2,, ""
HKR, Answer, 1,, "None"
HKR, Hangup, 1,, ""
HKR,, Reset,, "None"    ; slam in a reset before closing
HKR, Settings, Prefix,, ""
HKR, Settings, Terminator,, "<cr>"
HKR, Settings, DialPrefix,, "D"
HKR, Settings, DialSuffix,, ""
HKR, Settings, CallSetupFailTimer,, ""
HKR, Settings, InactivityTimeout,, ""
HKR, Settings, SpeakerVolume_Low,, "L0"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerVolume_Med,, "L2"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerVolume_High,, "L3"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerMode_Off,, "M0"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerMode_Dial,, "M1"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerMode_On,, "M2"
HKR, Settings, SpeakerMode_Setup,, "M3"
HKR, Settings, FlowControl_Off,, "&K0"
HKR, Settings, FlowControl_Hard,, "&K3"
HKR, Settings, FlowControl_Soft,, "&K4"
HKR, Settings, ErrorControl_Off,, "&Q6S36=3S48=128"
HKR, Settings, ErrorControl_On,, "&Q5S36=7S48=7"
HKR, Settings, ErrorControl_Forced,, "&Q5S36=4S48=7"
HKR, Settings, Compression_Off,, "S46=136"
HKR, Settings, Compression_On,, "S46=138"
HKR, Settings, Modulation_CCITT,, "B0"
HKR, Settings, Modulation_Bell,, "B1"
HKR, Settings, SpeedNegotiation_Off,, "N0"
HKR, Settings, SpeedNegotiation_On,, "N1"
HKR, Settings, Pulse,, "P"
HKR, Settings, Tone,, ""
HKR, Settings, Blind_Off,, "X4"
HKR, Settings, Blind_On,, "X3"

[RolmReg]
HKR, Init, 1,, "<cr>"
HKR, Init, 2,, "NoResponse"
HKR, Monitor, 1,, "Monitor"
HKR, Answer, 1,, "CLIENTSERVER"
HKR, Answer, 2,, "NoResponse"
HKR, Settings, DialPrefix,, ""
HKR,, Properties, 1, 80,01,00,00, ff,00,00,00, ff,00,00,00, 07,00,00,00, 0f,00,00,00, f7,03,00,00, 00,c2,01,00, 40,38,00,00
;HKR, Responses, "CLIENT",       1, 08, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00,00,00,00 ; Server side - the client is requesting a connection
;HKR, Responses, "<h00>CLIENT",  1, 08, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00,00,00,00 ; Server side - the client is requesting a connection
HKR, Responses, "<cr>", 1, 02, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00,00,00,00 ; Client side - the server has acknowledged and the connection is completed

[Strings]
VTech = "Virginia Tech"
Tech = "Virginia Tech"
Rolm = "Direct Connection"