Re: garbage collect

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Bjorn Wesen wrote:
> > There is a magic sequence in the beginning of each node, that can be used
> > to locate the start (in combination with a correct checksum of the node of
>
> Hm.. What if the first sector has just been erased (GC operation) and the
> system crashes.. I think you need to store the expected flash extent in a
> sector header(s) :|

The location and extent of the partition is given in the partition table
(elsewhere)

If a sector is erased or half-erased, the scan will keep scanning until it
finds valid nodes in the next sector.

If a sector is erased, your sector header is erased too so how could it
help ? :)

> How do you locate the spare sector if you don't have any sector headers?

With the ptable. The sectors should not need to know about how they
themselves are grouped.

If you want to dedicate the entire flash to the flash filesystem, you can
just hardcode in the driver that the partition spans the entire flash of
course.

-BJorn