how to debug kernel on etrax-uclinux

Hi everyone.

For past few days, I am trying to port a free software
FreeS/WAN on etrax-uclinux. This software(http://www.freeswan.org)
implements IPSEC security protocol for linux i.e.
it patches linux kernel to add an IPSEC protocol
inside every IP packet sent across the network.

Compiling it under etrax-uclinux was not a major problem.
But, when I try to ping(or send small <5k packets) across
the network under IPSEC, it goes fine for some time and
then etrax-uclinux reboots itself! This happens approx
at a point after when the kernel does an skb_copy() call.
Same happens if I try to send a large packet.

The first guess I had was that the problem was due to
a smaller default stack size, so I increased it to 100K,
but the effect is still the same.

I realise that the description of my problem is not at
all a good, detailed one. But the reason for that is that
I havent yet got a good clue of the problem! As I am a
newcomer on etrax board,I thought of writing to get
people's opinions on how to solve such kernel-level problems.

How do you people debug such problems(kernel patches)
on etrax-uclinux? The only way which I am doing now is
the good old printfs :-(

One more small thing to add. I had read on freeswan
newsgroup that these same freeswan kernel patches worked
well for uclinux on Motorola(I think it was Coldfire).

I am using the latest etrax software release 1.0.2.

'hope to get some pointers to solve my problem.
best wishes,
-- prabhat

--
Prabhat Avasare    IMEC (DESICS)          email: avasare@xxxxxxx.be
                   Kapeldreef 75            Tel: +32-16-281525