How do we write to registers?

Another mail from the newbies!

Thank you for your quick answers and your patience with us beginners!!

We had been looking at the registers before we wrote the last mail but what we did not understand is how one can write to the registers in runtime.
How do we access the registers (and memory addresses in general)? Is there a function like write_reg(addr, bitmap) or something like it?
We found some information about it in your document pages, but as far as we understood it they explained how to do it in assembler and we want to do it in C.

Best Regards
Johan & Alexander