Connecting IO to the devel boards

Hi guys,

I have the ETRAX development board her before me and I want to connect
alot of IO to it.

I only need digital IO on a TTL level (between 48 and 96 bits or more).
(the final output drivers are allready present on other boards)

Ideally I would like to build this system around a single FPGA : one
FPGA chip to the parallel ports of the etrax and a lot of IO with little
routing. (I have no FPGA experience at this moment, are there FPGA's
that are in PLCC package so that routing and experimenting with them is
easy ? Tools ? )

Another alternative is to use a couple of 8255 and connect them with a
little bit of glue logic to the etrax parallel ports (complexer design
for routing)

Does anyone have any other ideas or comment ?

--

regards,

Bart Duchesne
Dynamic Data Consulting BVBA