What steps should I take to building a new kernel?

I read this in one of the archives... but it doesn't seem
to be quite correct (perhaps for an older version of the
development tools?).

>6. Question: If so, what are the detailed steps for configuring /
>building / installing the new kernel for/on the devboard?

1. Install the developer board software:
   http://developer.axis.com/doc/software/devboard/install-howto.html
2. Go to products/tech/devboard/elinux
3. make menuconfig (or equivalent)
4. make changes...
5. Exit menuconfig
6. Make kernel with "make clean ; make dep ; make ; make zImage"
7. cd to products/tech/devboard
8. Run "mkprod -i"
9. Load the code to your developer board:
   http://developer.axis.com/doc/software/tools/boot_elinux-howto.html

First, I have a problem with step 2.  The directory does not exist.
I presume it's actuall the $DEVTREE_ROOT/elinux directory I want to
be in, is this correct?

Do I ever need to run . ./init_env in the $DEVTREE_ROOT directory?
Why are there 2 versions?

In step 8, the new kernel that I've just built is not located
$DEVTREE_ROOT/products/tech/devboard/elinux, running mkprod -i does
not seem to copy it either.

As there are several files (looks like I need timage?) I'm not sure
which ones I should or could manually copy.

I'm confused with this process, where have I gone wrong?  This
process is not formally documented.

Matt

CAUTION:  The information contained in this mail message is
confidential and may be legally privileged. No confidentiality
or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction of
this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
error please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy
the original message. Thank you.