Re: Reloading the kernel

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonas Aaberg <aberg@xxxxxxx.ch>
To: Anders Blomdell <anders.blomdell@xxxxxxx.se>
Cc: <dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: Reloading the kernel

> On 2001.04.04 15:11:12 Anders Blomdell wrote:
> > Is there any way to start the boot-loader from a telnet prompt (i.e.
make
> > it possible to ktest or kflash a board without access to the reset and
> > boot
> > button), since this would greatly improve turnaround time when testing a
> > deeply embedded etrax board (major disassembly needed to get access to
> > the
> > reset button).
> >
> Maybe you could download the kimage into the RAM disk mounted at /tmp and
> then
> do a "cat kimage >/dev/flash1"(you have to look up which partition that
> holds
> Linux+ROMfs. I'm not sure that it is /dev/flash1.) and then "reboot".
> I havn't tried this, but I think it could work.

No, the kimage is the uncompressed kernel+romfs image and you can't put this
into flash (it's probably to big anyway).
Use ftp to upgrade the firmware with a fimage or timage file
(depending on version of the sftpd)
(timage file will be obsoleted and replaced by the fimage file)
the ftp server will cause the system to go down to single user mode
and close down programs to free up memory and allocate enough
memory for the image, verify it and erase the flash and then
program the new image and reboot.

/Johan