RE: Axcessing *R_PAR1_CTRL_DATA from programs under Linux.

On 2001.04.30 12:13:05 Jonas Aaberg wrote:

> On 2001.04.30 12:24:47 Mikael Starvik wrote:
> > The internal registers are not available from userspace
> > (I don't think you can find any platform with a MMU
> > that lets you tamper with hardware registers directly).
> > If you need to access the registers you should do it
> > from kernel space e.g. from a device driver.
> I thought so too, but I found it quite nice to be able to
> do that in userspace on the old Etrax, so I hoped there
> was a way to do that.
>
> Thanks for your answer.

But on a second thought, for example the X server must be
able to change internal registers to switch to graphic mode.
So I think it can be possible from a program running with
chmod +s, owner root to change internal registers, somehow.
Could it be possible to memory map the interal register area
as shared memory? Just an idea, mabye it is impossible.

Regards,
 Jonas

--
Jonas Aaberg               Email: aberg@xxxxxxx.ch