RS485 9-bit networking

Hi guys,
I have a few simple questions regarding serial transmission.

Can the etrax use 9-bit data transmissions on its RS485 serial port.

Are there any documents regarding the registers and settings of the
serial ports or do I have to dive into the kernel source.
(parallel ports seem to be desacribed in detail, but the serial docs I
can't find anywhere)

I want to write my own serial RS485 9bit 'network' driver for the 2.4 LX
kernel to interface it to a RS485 network of atmel microcontrollers.
Is there anybody out there who has started something like this ?

regards,

bduc@xxxxxxx.com