Re: command line editing w/ the new 2.4 kernel

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be possible to adjust ash to link in the GNU
> > > readline library?
> >
> > I saw a mail about that somewhere and it sounded a bit tricky
> > (I think it was called cash, command-line ash, or something
> > like that), but it may be worth a try.
>
> Worth a try, but IMHO it's not really a big enough change to
> warrant renaming anything.  See USE_READLINE in
> shell/src/sash.[hc]

readline support can be trivial, if the "normal" application does
something like fgets from stdin (it was I who added it to sash)

However some other programs might rely on char-by-char input even if they
don't implement full readline functionality and then it might be more
hairy (I'm thinking of the stuff like C-c support, if that isn't handled
by the tty that is).

-BW