Debug messages on ser1

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the debug and console output:

by default it all comes on ser2 which is one of the DB9 connectors on
the dev board.

I understand from the schematics that the ser1 port of the etrax is
wired to the 2x5 header near the reset button; these are not RS232
levels but 3.3v.
Is it possible that if I make a RS232 level shifter for that connector I
can send all debug output and console output/input to that port.
(by recompiling kernels/ setting console and launching getty on that
port ofcourse).

I would be nice because it frees up a serial port that I need for my
application.
For Linux it won't be a problem I guess (since I have done similar
things on other platforms) but is technically possible on the Etrax
hardware (because I noticed in the schematics that serial1 has no FIFO)

regards,

Bart Duchesne