RE: cannot open parallel port on 100LX board

At 04:18 PM 6/11/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Take a look at the document
><http://developer.axis.com/doc/software/linux/device_drivers-howto.html>.
>It describes how to make a device driver that uses the paralell port in
>manual mode.
>
>brgds
>/Jonas

I followed the instructions in that document, and compiled a driver that
operates the
parallel port in manual mode. Very educational!

But I am wondering, is there any easier way to do this? In Linux on the
386, there
is the ioperm() and inb() out outb() instructions to directly map and  frob
some memory registers
in the hardware. Is there anything corresponding to this in the ETRAX 2.4 linux
port? I realize that the 386 has some sort of IO address space and
instructions
separate from the regular memory read/write mechanism. It just seems like I
ought
to be able to get at the etrax hardware without having to write a kernel
device driver... or does
that defeat all the purpose of the nice MMU and operating system?