RE: Kernel compile error with RS485

> the port /dev/ttyS3 failed to open because I had not enabled it in the
> kernel config and recompiled the kernel. Now that I enabled it, it
> works. So I should be able to use 4-wire 485 on that port then without
> explicitly enabling 485 in the kernel?

I think so. You'll have to try (unless someone else can fill me in on that).

> Can I also use 2-wire?

As you may have noticed I'm not at all sure about RS485. The driver in elinux works, so maybe you could figure something out by looking at that one. Or you could maybe take a look at the other archs and see if/how they have done it (although they might be using some arch independant serial framwork and/or userspace program to handle RS485).

brgds
/Jonas