Re: Problems getting pppd to work over async devices

Okay.. I've tried Sebastian's method but it didnt do any good.(welcome your comment tho) Then, I've tried your method (Hampus), and that made it work over the /dev/ttyS2 (DEBUG PORT). But.. still didnt work over the /dev/ttyS0 port.

I've then hacked some more of that tty.c code, and finally, after commenting out the re_openning of the tty bit, I was able to get LCP-req showing up on /dev/ttyS0.
However, it turns out that, because the pppd hung while trying to reopen tty, during the consecutive attempt, agetty fails to communicate through /dev/ttyS0. Resulting.... no login prompt. (Answers the phone tho)

Going right back to the fundamentals, normal communication path (AFAIK) for dial-in server would be something like this...
getty (waiting for dial-in) -> calls login -> waiting for password -> confirms the password -> shell.
Originally, I couldnt get this bit to work. So, I took the shortcut, by having the getty calling the shell directly. (Yes.. security has gone right out the window ). This worked. but then I was stuck with the pppd problem.
Knowing the reason why pppd didnt worked, I then hacked the login.c (comes with the devboard 1.0.0 image). Found the culprit. Surprise surprise... its the line 491. Which reads " opentty(ttyn); ".
By having that commented out, I was able to get the password prompt. Before that, it would simply stuck on login prompt.

After all this.. I still cannot get the /dev/ttyS0 to open up, after the initial connection. I'm thinking, this must the reason why reopening of the tty also fails in login and pppd.

Having pushed the problem to this far.. it is quite beyond me to fix it.

I'd appreciate anyone's help on this ....

Cheers,

Daniel Ann
Diginics Inc.