Remotely Upgrading Dev Board

I have no problem upgrading kernel, fs, and apps on a LAN, using ktest,
kflashand other upload routines.

But how could I do the same thing remotely (i.e. with at least an IP router
in between), using only ftp, tfp, telnet?

If I had sufficient space in Flash (jffs), could it be possible to load
images in it, transfer in the flash jkrnel and fs partitions, and reboot,
without being physically there pressing reset/reboot buttons? Better if I
could directly write in flash using ftp/tftp!

Thanks

Flavio Molinelli