Program flash from serial connection?

In designing our own board around the 100LX, we'd like to have redundant
ways to load linux onto the flash chip.

In reading the documentation and source code comments, it seems that while
the chip itself supports booting via ethernet and serial (and parallel),
the e100boot software currently only supports boothing through ethernet.

As ethernet can be finicky, we would like the capability to boot through
serial in an emergency, and flash through it.

Is there any way to boot and flash through the serial port?

Thanks!
Ben