RE: Additional interfaces

Hi Andy,

We have tested the software PCMCIA interface with Intersil
802.11b cards (this is actually the only card we have tested).
The limitation for the software solution is that only 10
address pins are supported. The Intersil card uses 10 pins
while other cards requires more.

Note that the software driver uses a lot of CPU performance.
It is probably not the best solution if you want to do a
lot of other stuff. We have also tested with a FPGA based
solution. A FPGA based solution does not have higher
throughput on PCMCIA (because the 802.11b card is the
bottleneck) but the CPU load is much lower.

Also note that the software based solution only supports
PCCARD and not cardbus. If you need cardbus it must be
implemented in e.g. a FPGA.

The PCMCIA code consists of a number of layers:

Management programs - Programs that handles loading of modules,
hot insertion etc. These has not been ported to ETRAX but it
should be quite easy with the 2.4 release.

Card driver - Kernel space driver for a specific card. There
are drivers for Intersil chipsets (e.g. Prism II) available.

PCMCIA framework - The 2.4 kernel contains a hardware
independent PCMCIA framework.

Socket Service - The hardware dependent PCMCIA parts. There
is an expiremental port for the software based ETRAX
solution.

In the tests we made we didn't use the PCMCIA framework (we
called the Socket Service directly from the driver). Our test
socket service and the PCMCIA framework has similar interfaces
so it would be easy to make a real socket service implementation.

The socket service implementation is currently not available
in our distributions (because it is still experimental).

One of our customers using the software based solution has
a web site with some information and downloadable source code
and documentation (some is non english).

http://rnd.balt.net

Compact flash cards are basically PCMCIA cards with a different
connector so it should work (but it has not been verified).

There are several projects running which will connect a larger
screen to ETRAX but they are all in the startup phase and no
tests have been performed yet.

Regards
/Mikael