modem login problem, hwtestserial -loopback fails

Hi All,
I try to login at a modem connected to the devboard_lx, but I don't get it
to work. I tried almost everything. I hope someone knows what is going wrong.
I installed ppp and mgetty on the devboard. Mgetty is a getty specially for
modems. After the modems have connected I can see in the ppp logfile (of the
client):

send [LCP ConfReq id=0x1> <pcomp> <accomp>]
last message repeated 9 times
LCP: timeout sending Conf
Connection terminated

And then the connection ends.
In the other ppp logfile I get the messageges:

pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/ttyS0: Read-only file system

I tried to set up a ppp connection in the other way (devboard as client,
other computer as server) and this worked without any problems. There was a
little difference in the 2 ppp logfiles from the server:

The logfile from the working ppp connection (devboard as client):
waiting for line to clear (VTIME), read:
 looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 23951)
utmp + wtmp entry made
tio_set_flow_control ( HARD )
getlogname (AUTOPPP), read:~[ff]}#[c0]!
input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DSR DTR DCD

The logfile from the not working ppp connection (devboard as server):
waiting for line to clear (VTIME), read:
 looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 52)
tio_set_flow_control ( HARD )
getlogname (AUTOPPP), read:~[ff]}#[c0]!
input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DSR DTR DCD RI

A difference is that at the last one there is no utmp and wtmp entry made. I
checked on the devboard, and there is a utmp file, but no wtmp file.
There is also a difference in the status of the 232_lines, so I tested the
serial line with:

'hwtestserial -d /dev/ttyS0 -loopback 4'
and I got the message:
'test failed: CD and RI high when expected to be low (RTS high, DTR low)'
this is not good, is it?

I also tried to dialin at the devboard without ppp, but then when typing a
username after the loginprompt nothing happens.
I tried with an other login program (tinylogin, also supports passwd, adduser
ea) but still the same problem.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong and what to do about it?
Your response would be greatly appreciated,
Joost Reus