couldn't restrict write permission

Hi all,
I have a problem logging in with a modem on the devboard_lx. While logging in
the login program has to change the ownership of ttyS0, but can't. In a
logfile I get the message:

Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/ttyS0: Read-only file system

How can I give the login program the permission to change the ownership? At
an embedded linux newsgroup someone advised me to create a RAM disk, but this
is already done right? I can't find really much information about the
filesystem. If I write something to the /etc directory is it directly written
to the flash, and does this mean that the flash stops working at +- 1 million
of those write actions?
Thanks,
Joost Reus