Re: couldn't restrict write permission

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 09:51, joost wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem logging in with a modem on the devboard_lx. While logging in
> the login program has to change the ownership of ttyS0, but can't. In a
> logfile I get the message:
>
> Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/ttyS0: Read-only file system

Which program does that come from? Does it really have to change
permission on /dev/ttyS0?

> How can I give the login program the permission to change the ownership? At
> an embedded linux newsgroup someone advised me to create a RAM disk, but this
> is already done right? I can't find really much information about the
> filesystem.

tmpfs is mounted on /var and /tmp is a symbolic link to /var/tmp so you
can write to the /var and /tmp directories but it will be lost on
reboot.

> If I write something to the /etc directory is it directly written
> to the flash, and does this mean that the flash stops working at +- 1 million
> of those write actions?

There is a limit to how many times you can erase a flash sector (about
100000 times i think) so you shouldn't use /mnt/flash for non-important
logs etc.

Best regards
/Jonas