Enabling RS-485 and other serial ports

Hi all,

i know that questions about the serial ports have a long history in this
group, but...

In my application i need all the four serial ports enabled for my program to
handle four serial bidirectional data streams. When looking to all the past
entries in this newsgroup i tried out more or less all the stuff given here.

But, however, it is very hard to face out what one must do to get all the
four ttySx ports under his control.

I have verified the ..\devboadr_lx\kernelconfig.latest file, it looks now
the folliwing:

# CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT0 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT1 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT2=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT3 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT_NULL is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_RESCUE_SER0 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_RESCUE_SER1 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_RESCUE_SER2=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_RESCUE_SER3 is not set
#
#   Port 0 is always enabled
#
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PB is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT1=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT2=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER2_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PA=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT3=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_RS485=y

With this settings i get compiler errors that a "structure has no member
rs485". I hacked the code and found that the part in serial.h is
conditionally compiled, so i added a line into kernelconfig:

CONFIG_RS485=y

So far, so good, but this alone does also not to work, i still get the rror.

Any hints what i must do to get the RS-485 option compiling ?

What is the relationship between the kernelconfig.latest file and executing
a "make xconfig" in ..\os\linux ? It seems that my changes in
kernelconfig.latest are ignored when i compile the kernel...

Beside this, what must i do to become ALL four ttySx ports under the full
control of my program ?

Note: I already changed /etc/inittab to disable all the ttySx usage there,
but what else ?

Many thanks for your help,
Gerhard