Re: elf binary

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Ronny L Nilsson wrote:
> I've got a question about compiler flags. In the kernel
> linux/arch/etrax100/boot/compressed/Makefile
> gcc-cris is told to create an ELF (?) with the option -melf,
> but in rest of the kernel -mlinux is used. Howcome? What's the
> differens between them?

-mlinux implies a bunch of options suitable for compiling the kernel and
user-applications, but the boot-code is selfcontained and did not need
those options when the Makefile was written.

I think the bootcode can use -mlinux now anyway, but thats the old reason
at least.

I also think H-P has posted what -mlinux really implies before but it
involves the object format, wether to use underscores for c-symbols or
not, maybe set the CRIS version code to something.. etc..

-BW