Re: rootfs mount

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 16:32, Ronny L Nilsson wrote:

> Hello
> I've got a question about the mounting of root fs on devboard.
>
> Why is there a "hack" in fs/super.c:mount_root() for using the embedded
> cramfs image as root filesystem? Woudn't it be much nicer with
> something like root=/dev/flash2 on kernel commandline?

The hack is only for RAM boot (using the ktest script), because then
cramfs is also in RAM. When booting from flash the root= parameter is
set in arch/cris/kernel setup.c using the kernel config option
CONFIG_ETRAX_ROOT_DEVICE (note that /dev/flash? wouldn't work since the
name is just a key in the array in init/main.c and the real name for a
device with major number 0x1f should be /dev/mtdblock?).

Best regards
/Jonas