lib inclusion

Ciao,

I read some rumors here a while ago that giving the linker the options:
'-Bstatic,-lwhatever,-Bdynamic'
would statically link in as little as possible from the specified lib...

That really does not do the trick for me.

If i provide '-static' to the compiler - there's no problem - the 'images'
target does not include that lib (but ofcourse the binary gets huge). But if
I instead use static linking for that lib only (as described above), the lib
still gets included in it's dynamic form. Why ?

(And yes - a 'ldd' on the binary compiled for x86 confirms that the library
indeed is needed...)

Please, anybody ?

With regards - John