Re: Using other than kernel mentioned in devboard software

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Anders Hasselqvist wrote:
> I have a simple question. Now when the kernel source for the Cris
> architecture is supplied in the archives from www.kernel.org, shouldn't
> you be able to just download the archive and compile/use it with the
> devboard software?

In theory, yes.

> I downloaded 2.4.18 just for fun. It wasn't hard to get working (with a
> little help from this list) but shouldn't it work just "out of the box"?
>
> I had to change:
> arch/cris/drivers/Config.in
> mm/bootmem.c

The missing include from bootmem has been tricky to get through the "guards"
into marcelos kernel.

Config.in is my screwup I think..

Apart from that, the difficult thing with downloading the official kernel
releases are that if "they" make changes to the i386 port and architecture
API during the last minute before a release, the CRIS version of the patches
won't be included until after the real release. We're reasonably in sync
with the official kernel now though..

-BW