Internal Compiler Error

I am developing with the ETRAX 100LX development board on a workstation running redhat 7.3. I am using version 1.20-1 of the cris distribution (rpm).
I am trying to compile a new configuration of the linux kernel to download onto the ETRAX 100LX development board. The compilations are not succeeding as the compiler is generating errors. An example of these errors is shown below.

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1678: Warning: partial line at end of file ignored
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
make[3]: *** [ip_output.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/data/es3klocal/axis/devboard_lx/os/linux/net/ipv4'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/es3klocal/axis/devboard_lx/os/linux/net/ipv4'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_ipv4] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/es3klocal/axis/devboard_lx/os/linux/net'
make: *** [_dir_net] Error 2

The compilation has been successful on a few occasions, but often it fails, returning errors similar to the example above. Also, The failure doesn't always accor at the same place, or at the same file. Each compilation fails in a different spot. I have submitted a full bug report to axis, but in the meantime, does anybody have any ideas as to why this is occurring? Has anybody encountered similar problems???
Thanks.
--

Rick Luppino - Research Engineer

University of South Australia
Institute for Telecommunications Research
Room 2-8, SPRI Building
Mawson Lakes Boulevard
Mawson Lakes, SA 5095

Email:     ricky.luppino@xxxxxxx.au