ppp slows boot process

I reconfigured the kernel to include ppp asych support (using menuconfig)
but now the boot process is very slow. Takes about 3 minutes to boot my
ETRAX 100LX board as opposed to about 20 seconds before. The board pauses
for over 1 minute between "Freeing unused kernel memory" and "init: starting
up". Speed returns to normal after bootup. Anybody know why?

To confirm I reconfigured the kernel to exclude ppp support, reflashed and
the boot time returned to normal,  ~20 seconds.

-Ken