RE: network throughput

Hi,

Thanks for the help... however, my numbers using netperf are inconsistent
with yours, and there are some other problems/questions I have:

I am using kernel 2.4.14.

- with netperf, TCP achieved at most 12-15 Mbits/s (when the
receiver was a devbaord, and the sender was either a devboard or a PIII).

- with netperf, sending UDP packets of sizes in the range 100-500
bytes, spaced about 1ms apart cause ethernet overruns very quickly on the
receiver box. For example, sending 250 byte UDP packets, one every 1 ms
from one devboard to another for a period of 20 seconds gave these
results:

packets sent: 19187
packets rcvd: 3412

all dropped packets were overruns on the receiver box.

This behavior is also inconsistent- it happens for a wide
range of packet sizes and interpacket spacing.

When this happens, the box sometimes freezes: here is part of a message
I get from the kernel:
Unable to handle kernel access at virtual address 20000000
Oops: 0000
                                                                    IRP:
60068bd8 SRP: 600689be DCCR: 000004a0 USP: 4ffffd84 MOF: 00000000

                                                           r0: 00000200
r1: b00

another strange thing: after the box freezes, if I reboot it by pressing
the reboot button,
it negotiates
half-duplex mode with the switch it is connected to. On the other hand,
if I reboot it by _powering off_, it negotiates ful duplex.

any idea why this might happen?

- Since the acheived throughput is surprisingly low, I'm trying to locate
possible sources of bottlenecks - card to OS DMA transfer because of slow
mem. access time, or simply the overhead of calling recv() repeatedly from
user space, etc....

any suggestions towards improving the performance by just OS tweaks rather
than hardware changes would be great!

Thanks!
akshay