kernel update

Hi,

I'm supposed to write an application which transfers scientific
measurement data over ethernet in real time. I've chosen your chip to do
the job, because it appears to be good choice and it has been tested in
some experiments at CERN.

I'm new in Linux environment and that's why I'd like to know few things.
My questions are:

1. Do I need to update the kernel in ETRAX-chip in order to design real
time applications or is the standard kernel adequate?
2. Is it even possible to update the kernel by my self?

I also want to know that can I update the web page in chip somehow? I
tried it once, but chip responded that the filesystem is read-only type.

Best regards,

Sami Vuolab
Rovaniemi Polytechnic