Re: ELF: not found (after kernel recompilation)

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 04:01 pm, Orjan Friberg wrote:
> silver@xxxxxxx.se wrote:
> > I have been attempting to add a simple driver for the devboard_lx that
> > uses the 16 data lines from lp0 and lp1, based heavily on the lcd
> > display example. I have managed to make the kernel compile my driver
> > without complaints, but am now having problems testing it. The first
> > trouble I have is that when I attempt to run user programs with the
> > new kernel (even those that don't use the new driver), I receive an
> > error:
> >
> > ELF: not found
>
> I'm not sure this is the cause of your problem, but check if you have
> the following line in your os/linux/.config file:
>
> CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
>
> If it's not on, change it under "General setup" when you do make
> menuconfig.

Ok, it does seem that elf binaries (and for that matter, aout binaries)
are not enabled by default in the standard devboard tarfile. I enabled
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF in menuconfig as you suggested and tried to
rebuild the kernel. What happened is that I got a lot of errors when
compiling binfmt_elf.c, starting with a warning:

binfmt_elf.c:313: warning: `struct exec' declared inside parameter list
binfmt_elf.c:313: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration,
which is probably not what you want.

and continuing with lots of warnings about "dereferencing pointer to
incomplete type". And then the kernel compilation ends with errors.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, and found a workaround?
I am working from the distributions:

devboard-R1_1_0.tar  and  cris-dist-1.20-1.i386.rpm

and haven't changed any options, AFAIK.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks

Sam Silverstein
silver@physto,se