link integrity led for ethernet on MCM / devboard_lx?

It looks to me from the schematics that neither the devboard_lx nor the MCM
bring the LNKLED signal out from the ethernet transceiver chip. If this is so,
how can I simulate the link integrity check of the PHY layer in software?
I basically want an LED on when a "live" network cable is plugged in, and off
when unplugged.
I guess the devboard_lx could be modified to get the actual LNKLED signal out,
but I'm thinking that is not possible for the MCM, no?

Thanks,
  Dave

--
| Dave Chevalier              | TriBeam Technologies, Inc.         |