RE: Kernel driver initialization sequence

Hi,

The DS1302 is initialized extra early because it is
needed to get the current time. The serial port (but not
the serial port driver) is also initialized early to get
debug output.

The linker probably locates the __init functions in the
same order as they are linked (there is probably no
"rule" that the linker has to follow any specific
order but the linker most likely chooses the simplest
solution).

If you want your driver to be initialized first of
the ETRAX drivers you can place your driver first in
arch/cris/driver/Makefile. If you want it to be
initialized even earlier you have to add a call to
your driver in e.g. arch/cris/kernel/setup.c. Note
that you can't trust that functions like ioremap
and kmalloc works at this stage.

/Mikael