RE: embedded beginner. :)

>The thing I'm uncertain about is the ide-interface, its not well covered
>in the datasheet, but is it possible to just hook up a normal ata
>compatible harddrive and run it, assuming its properly configured?

Yes.

>How much different is it to work with? Can I boot from the flash memory
>and when that boot is finished continue to start programs located on the
>harddrive? Probably a very obvious question, but just to make sure. :)

Yes. But you always need the flash memory, you can't boot from
a harddrive.

Note that the ATA interface in ETRAX is slower than in a normal PC.
Also note that you need probably need 32 MB of RAM to do this.

/Mikael

I'm new to this embedded world of hardware and is trying to find my way
forward. I have a fax soloution currently running on "normal pc
hardware" which I would like to get running on a smaller(physical)
hardware in a custom casing.

I've been looking at the etrax 100lx from axis and it seems like a nice
piece of hardware, it seems like it have all the functionality I need.
The thing I'm uncertain about is the ide-interface, its not well covered
in the datasheet, but is it possible to just hook up a normal ata
compatible harddrive and run it, assuming its properly configured?

How much different is it to work with? Can I boot from the flash memory
and when that boot is finished continue to start programs located on the
harddrive? Probably a very obvious question, but just to make sure. :)

Best regards,
	Eric