RE: synchronous serial bidirectional master mode

Hi,

>So the master probably has to keep sending dummy data to generate
>frame pulses, in order to allow the slave to send data back?
>Or are the frame pulses continuously generated, even when the master
>has no data to transmit?

The frame pulses are generated even when there is no data to send.

>Or is there a way in the synchronous serial protocol for the slave
>to indicate it has data to send, so that the DMA buffers of the
>master only get filled with valid data?

The slave can use the flow control to indicate that no frames
should be generated (and hence no data received).

>As you see, I'm new to the concept of synchronous serial communication,
>anything that can point me into the right direction would be greatly
>appreciated.

The synchronous serial port is a bit odd because it always runs
even when there is nothing to do. This is rather confusing and
it would be better if this behaviour could be disabled with
a configuration option.

/Mikael