RE: USB-Server?

Hi,

The idea would be to impl. a low level usb driver similar to usb-ohci or
usb-uhci in the local Linux machine. Using a utility program one could
tell this driver to attach to a remote TCP/IP device instead of some
local hardware. The remote box would have to impl a low level driver
that takes the TCP/IP data and talk to the real hardware. The drivers
would of course need to wrap/unwrap the USB data and add control
information so it knows what kind of data it is and what to do with it.
Local applications shouldn't know the difference.

This would be simiar to
http://www.gleaf.com/Hardware/ION/ION-AnywhereUSB.asp but this product
doesn't support Linux as the host PC, and using a Linux machine for the
device server also has many other advantages in my view.

A traditional scenario:

|usb device specific driver (such as usbmouse) |
|usb driver|
|usb-ohci driver|
|usb hardware|

Using TCP/IP:

|usb device specific driver|
|usb driver|
|usb-tcp-top driver|

  Ethernet/TCP/IP

|usb-tcp-bottom driver|
|usb-hardware|

I do not think it should be very difficult. Maybe I'm wrong.

-- Dag